Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Let's Bookity


Happy New Year Everyone!! Wow 2008 was freaking great! And 2009 is going to be just as great...if not the GREATEST-EST!! Cheers to that :)

Okay, so I have sooooo NOT been keeping up with my Book Club posts. So....a year in review.....we read....

1) Eat, Pray, Love (excellent...highly recommend it)
2) What is the What (too long...didn't finish it....it's alright)
3) Skinny Bitch (interesting read...influenced me to stop eating poultry/meat)
4) Three Cups of Tea (couldn't really get into it...really inspiring story but dragged a little)
5) Tortilla Curtain (decent...I'd recommend others over this one)
6) Devil in the White City (LOVED IT......it's a historical thriller and one of the best books I've read in a long time)
7) Snowflower and the Secret Fan (I was a total slacker and didn't read the book for that month...it's on my list though!!)
8) The Other Boleyn Girl (fascinating and SUPER long...highly recommend it though...I hear it's much better than the movie).

So, onto 2009, our next book is "The Last Lecture"....and, thankfully, it's only about 200 page (vs. Boleyn girl which was like 600+ pages). I just finished it the other day and it was just beautiful. It's a book filled with short stories from a computer science professor by the name of Randy Pausch who taught at Carnegie Mellon and it contains ways to "live out your childhood dreams." Very poignant and insightful.

And touching and sad at times because Randy was actually diagnosed with pancreatic cancer at age 47 (with 3 small children) and was told he'd have about 6 months to live, thus the "Last Lecture." He passed away in July 2008, and left such an amazing legacy for his wife, kids, friends and students. Truly inspirational.

It's a beautiful book. I absolutely recommend it. Quick read, great nuggets of wisdom in there. You can check out video for the actual lecture here.

2 comments:

Anitza said...

That's a great list! I haven't read the Last Lecture, but I saw the video of his lecture and it was so incredibly inspirational. How does the book compare?

http://magicalobizuth.livejournal.com

leofsky said...

Heya Anitza. You know, I haven't watched much of his Last Lecture on video yet. Looking forward to it though. He wrote the book after the lecture, since he included the last couple of lines from his lecture in his book....yeah, I was all tears those last few pages!!!