Friday, January 5, 2007

Gimme an "A" gimme an "O" gimme a "P"


So it's important to like where you work, right? Well, let's just say I've become a bit of a loony cheerleader for my place of employment, the Aquarium of the Pacific.

It's like college all over again. Back in those days, I would sport every red and yellow piece of merchandise I could get my hands on to represent USC. T-shirts, sweatshirts, booty shorts, sweats, bags, wrist bands, hats, you name it. I was all about it. Splash those three lovely letters across me and I was a happy camper. And give me a "F-UCLA" shirt and I was even happier ;)

It appears this behavior has transferred over to my profession. I am so pumped about the free polos, sweatshirt and wind breaker jacket all branded with the AOP (Aquarium of the Pacific) logo all employees here get. I almost even bought a beanie at the gift store just now. Because, who DOESN'T love beanies? Yeeeaahhhh....I know I would NEVER wear it. Not because it has my work's logo on it of course, but because I don't live in the chilly mountains or San Francisco any more. And it messes up my hair 'do. Can't have that.

This made me realize though that I might be a bit of an Aquarium "fan"....not just a "marine enthusiast." A bit of a zealot if you will.

So when does this become unhealthy exactly? When I dress like an Aquarium Guest Services rep on Halloween? Or on weekends just for fun? (That would actually be quite frightening). Wear my name badge to dinner, the movies and while shopping? Carry around a sea otter or penguin stuffed animal purse? (We do sell those in our gift store believe it or not).

I may eventually grow tired of all the spirit. This could just be a phase. But for now, my AOP logo'd wind breaker and I are going to be very happy together.

No comments: