Monday, March 23, 2009

Mighty Meniscus


Yeah, I wasn't familiar with the "meniscus" either until only recently unfortunately. Went to Mammoth last weekend and had a fabulous day skiing. On Day 2, which would have been a 2nd fabulous day of skiing, I instead did a not-so-graceful splits in my skis (1st run of the day mind you on a "green" trail) and my left knee twisted underneath me.

After I balled my eyes out for 3 whole minutes (not because of the pain but the thought I may not be able to participate in the TRI I've been training for), I skied down the rest of the run, and my knee has NOT been feeling too hot ever since. I walk with an awesome limp. It's great. My new nickname is Gimpy. Loves it.

I went to the ortho surgeon this morning and he said it could be two things: (a) just a sprain/tear to the MCL which would require no surgery, or (b) MCL tear AND Meniscus tear which WOULD require surgery...but only a few weeks rehab. I'll know next week after the MRI scan. Woohoo!!

Although I'm hugely disappointed about not being able to participate in this upcoming TRI, I consider myself lucky considering other injuries to the knee could require 6+ months of rehab. And my ski accident could have been A LOT worse. A LOT. My heart goes out to Natasha Richardson's family and friends. So tragic.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

BOO!! i don't like this post at all!!

Anonymous said...

Poor baby! I'm so, so, so sorry! Your bawling on the hill makes me think of when I twisted my ankle (which started my long path toward tearing my hip labrum): I cried my eyes out for, like, two hours out of self-pity, not pain, because I just KNEW I'd have to scrap my plans for my next marathon. Check out this helpful Runner's World story about getting in the right mindset to cope with an injury: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-286--11956-0,00.html

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your knee. That's horrible! You'll have to post after your MRI so we know if you are going to have surgery or not. We'll keep our fingers crossed for NO SURGERY!

Thank you, thank you for the adorable gifts. I know little lady will love the Peacock (Daphne has already tried to steal him. she's a sucker for something with a squeaker) and the Brown Bear book. That was too thoughtful of you! Thank you again for your thoughtfulness and stay off that knee.