Monday, March 2, 2009

I'm a fan of stones


Hot stone massages that is. We had a girls' spa day and I decided to change it up and go with a hot stone massage. I had never had one before...I usually go with the standard "use and abuse" you deep tissue massages to work out the knots in my back.

And let me say...I LOVE hot stone massages. I thought it'd be really gimmicky...like, ooooo, let's slap these hot stones on you and charge you $50 extra bucks for leaving pock marks essentially all over your body and the stones stay hot for all of 7 seconds. And I was pleasantly surprised because the masseur kept reheating the stones and actually massaged WITH the hot stones which felt so freaking cool. I may just have discovered a pricey indulgence. Oh geez.

So, I've gotten a lot of massages in my day...especially given my chronic shoulder injury...and I always feel weird with male masseurs. I had a dude who gave me the hot stone massage...and he was probably in his 50s or 60s....I couldn't decide if that was more or less creepy. And he wasn't inappropriate in any way (if he had been, he would have received a welcoming knee to the groin region). Oftentimes, I'll request a female masseuse so I don't feel weird in any way, but male masseurs can typically apply more pressure.

Maybe next time I ask for a flaming male masseur, so I get the best of both worlds?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

aren't those hot stones so relaxing!?!? i got one on vacation a few years back and LOVED it - coincidentally the masseuse was flaming gay. :)

Anonymous said...

ooo I've always wondered about the hot stones- glad to hear it!

Anonymous said...

I've only had one hot stone massage and I really liked it... maybe I need another one of those:> I love massages and usually I don't mind males but when we went last week I for sure wanted to make sure I had a woman who would 'get' the whole pregnant body thing. Glad to know that you watch Bachelor too... and agree that Jason is a LAME-O.

Amy said...

I'm a total massage whore, and will take one from anyone, anytime, any media (stones, hands ... whatever). But my favorite masseurs have always been women. My least favorite massage came from a "woman" I feel fairly certain was a trannie, but that's another story ...

Glad you had a good stone massage – sounds like with this next round of triathlon training, you deserved it!