Monday, March 30, 2009

Marvelous Meniscus!!!


So, I went to the ortho doc this morning, and I felt like I was awaiting serious test lab results...the suspense was killing me! Surgery or not, surgery or not...just tell me already!!

He brings up my MRI scan on the computer (pretty cool) and said my MCL is SEVERELY sprained and inflamed...it looks ballooned 5x the size it should be. Probably why I can't straighten my knee all the way, huh?!?!

And....the Meniscus is FINE! Thank you for holding up Meniscus. You're one tough cookie.

So, no surgery required which is great. No TRI either which is poopy, but hey, there are other TRIs out there this year. It's all good. It will be 3 whole months before I'm able to do normal physical activity though. So I get to be super patient. And, I'm thinking milking this injury for all it's worth and having Ryan wheel me around in a wheelchair at Disneyland for my bday (since bday peeps get in for free!!!) so we get to the front of the line. Shhhh, don't tell!

P.S. I totally have the same injury as the Lakers Center, Andrew Bynum. Yeah, I keep up with NBA athletes so I know all the scoop...haha, yeah right. I didn't even know who Andrew what's-his-name was until today. But, it is quite glamorous we share the same injury. I wonder if he's sporting the gimp walk too!?!?

4 comments:

Amy Reinink said...

YEAH for no surgery! BOO for no TRI ... but how about training for an open-water swim that's a couple months away? I coped with a hip injury last year by swimming with a pull buoy, which completely immobilizes your legs, for three months. By the time the race came around, I could use my legs again, and I was surprised at how well pulling alone trains your whole body for swimming. Just a thought, in case you miss your endorphin fix!

Anonymous said...

So glad that you don't have to have surgery... being wheeled around D-land sounds awesome! Happy Birthday!

Elsja said...

Glad you don't need surgery. I can only hope that your injury heals better than mine has! It's been almost 5 months and I still have some serious challenges with my ankle. Nothing too horrible, but I can say I wouldn't be doing any TRIs any time soon. Who am I kidding though- I wouldn't be doing one of those even without the injury!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY (well, I guess it's over now, but I'll say it anyways).

Alexi Holford said...

No TRI??? What does that mean for our training plans? Oh no!

I am very happy to hear you will not need surgery. That is what matters.