Friday, April 17, 2009

Tantalizing "Tide Table"


Does a memory ever pop into your mind from a completely ambiguous train of thought? This happens to me all the time. The human brain is truly fascinating in that way.

Anyway, I saw something animation related, and it triggered this memory of my most favorite artistic animated piece that resides in SFMOMA. It's by the South African artist named William Kentridge and the film is called "Tide Table." When I lived up in SF, I would always visit this exhibit, and watch the 8 minute piece over and over again. I'm completely captivated by the beauty and rawness. It's haunting and poetic. And the music that accompanies the film takes my breath away. I'm so glad the memory of this piece popped into my head today!!

Here are a couple links to it...
1) A two minute clip of the film
2) A live musical performance accompanying the piece
3)Artist's discussion of the film

Here's some info about the artist...
South African artist William Kentridge is widely regarded as one of the world's most influential artists making work today.

He was born in Johannesburg in 1955 where he continues to live and work. An exploration of the human reality of South Africa's political situation has been at the core of much of his practice and his work presents an arresting and forceful commentary on the contemporary cultural and socio-political issues in South Africa. Inspired by music, opera, literature, and banal or troubling everyday events, the artist creates highly personal and often haunting works in a variety of media.

No comments: