Wednesday, May 27, 2009

I love PASO!!


Memorial Day weekend was stupendous! Made plans to go to Paso Robles a few months back, and decided to make a mini-road trip out of it. Stopped in Los Alamos to feast on some of the best pizza I've ever had at "Full of Life Flatbread." It was so incredibly tasty and fresh and inventive. And the town itself is super small and quaint, but the restaurant was bustling. Quite a reputation.

Then we stayed in Morro Bay for the evening and spent the morning there. Got to see the illustrious "Morro Rock" which was pretty cool. Also browsed an ArtWalk while there and got this cool funky wind chime made from 19th century silverware...I love all of the creativity at those fairs!

We made a stop in Cayucos next which is a cute, saloony beach town. All of the beach towns in Central Coast have their own flavor. Had lunch at Hoppes outside in their garden which I also highly recommend.

Paso was AMAZING!! We totally are going to live there some day. We stayed at the B&B Hollyhock Farms and they had chickens and roosters and rams and cats and dogs....so adorable. And the freshest tastiest eggs ever! Ate dinner at awesome restaurant called Artisan.....all I can say is YUM!! And their trio of creme brulees were the BOMB!!!

Wine tasting was fun, but, I learned a lot for THE NEXT TIME!! Like, I should pace myself and not slurp down EVERY wine that Tobin James Cellars gives me (eventhough it was quite delicious) and drink more water, and plan for lunch in the middle instead of only eating the "cleanse your palate" bland crackers...and, we went to 6 wineries....yeah, I would have been good with 2 or 3. The wino nap afterward was divine though :) I definitely would love to go to a "olive oil" tasting next time too!! Discovered I absolutely love the 2006 Opolo Mtn. Zinfandel too. Soooooooo good. Good we got a few bottles to take home from Long's Drugs there too!!

On the way back, we stopped in Avila Beach and got some of the freshest fish tacos ever at Pete's Pierside Cafe....Wahoo's has some competition in my eyes now ;) Then we took a drive through Arroyo Grande and saw Huasna Farm (Ryan applied for an internship there a while back) and it was breathtaking.

Then we spent 2 1/2 hours on the "101 parking lot freeway" near Santa Barbara. Fun fun! All in all, such an amazing trip.....I want to be back there now :)

No comments: